Wednesday, November 05, 2008

e-day & the morning after

After almost year of grueling democratic primaries and the fierce debate between McCain and Obama the fight is over. Election day came and left. About 55% of the country woke up this morning doing a silent dance - I know I did.

Last night, knowing that Obama had won was not nearly as monumental for me as I it was quite obviously for others (tears, hugs, street parades, etc.) but often the big moments take a day or so to sink in for me. I'm neither African American nor of Muslim blood but I think its fair to say that Obama's triumph in the 2008 election does speak to one good thing that America can now proudly claim: There are plenty of us who have control over our prejudices. Quite possibly 60 or 70%, right? Not all those who voted against Obama did so out of their prejudice.

There is plenty of anxiety to go around with the possibility of a depression looming over our heads but plenty of power festering about with the new found energy amongst many previously disenfranchised groups: young adults, African Americans, Hispanics, and women. In my opinion the greatest value Obama and his success thus far have brought to the US is the energy that has spawned amongst young voters. These are the same people that will after a few decades (or perhaps sooner) hold positions of great power within our government and within corporate America. I'd venture to bet a politician or ten are growing from this new energy as we speak.

Better said here: http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displayStory.cfm?story_id=12511205

No comments: