Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Disease Prevention the Modern Way

How's about an e-card to notify a partner of your and consequently his/her possibility of infection. inSPOT, the online e-card servicer for electronic cards with STD notification messages was first developed out of an initiative of the San Francisco Public Health Department. I had heard about this new service casually a while back but did not really undersand what it was.

Fox News had an article on it today and it happen to eappear on my RSS feed so I thought I'd do a brain dump. I'm sure there's controversy over the necessity and message this carries with it but I personally think its a refreshingly interesting way to use technology to combat a public health issue. Talking about STDs is scary and awkward -- especially if you're telling someone they may have gotten it from you. Granted if you're close to someone this is an in-person conversation but casual relations are quite common nowadays. E-cards are casual communication -- its a fitting facilitator.

Details are available on the inSPOT website and in this article from PloS Medicine.

No comments: